Massmail: Thanksgiving and Fall Break Policies
Everyone needs to do their part to protect themselves and our community. The university is asking students to take precautions starting right now to minimize COVID-19 spread over the Thanksgiving holiday.
Before Fall Break
- Do not have or attend parties. Parties spread COVID-19. The result is increased transmission, innocent people getting sick or hospitalized and the need for more regional and statewide mitigation steps that affect our local businesses and restaurants. For everyone’s sake, please do not hold or attend parties.
- Starting Nov. 6 (today) through Nov. 20, students who plan to travel during Fall Break must limit themselves to essential activities only, such as attending in-person class, testing, visiting the pharmacy and buying groceries.
- You must continue to test during this time.
- If you test positive, you must comply with Champaign-Urbana Public Health District isolation/quarantine requirements and cooperate with their contact tracing staff.
- Any students who violate university, state or local health and safety requirements are subject to student discipline.
After Fall Break
- If you travel away from the Champaign-Urbana-Savoy area for Fall Break you should not return to campus until the Spring semester. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other health experts tell us that travel in and out of communities presents a high risk of spreading the infection.
- If you must return to campus or the local community after Fall Break, you should test for COVID-19 as soon as possible after you return to campus and self-quarantine until your results are available. You then must test every other day until Dec. 18, the end of the Fall 2020 semester.
- Students who return to or have remained in the community after Fall Break must limit themselves to essential activities only, such as testing, visiting the pharmacy and buying groceries through the end of the semester.
- Some study spaces will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis for those who must return. Wellness Support Associates will be checking for building access status at the entrances of study spaces, fitness centers and other university facilities.
- Students who will be on-campus or in the community during breaks are required to continue their regular COVID-19 testing schedule. Students who fail to follow our testing policies are subject to student discipline.