Extending cancellation of summer events through July 5
With the recent extension of the state’s stay-at-home order and uncertainty about what restrictions on gatherings might remain in place after that order is lifted, we have made the decision to extend our cancellation of all university-sponsored summer events through July 5. The previous cancellation of university-sponsored summer camps is extended through August 15.
We will adopt the following phased approach to decisions about the status of events after July 5 through the rest of the summer and into the fall semester.
- May 1 –July 5: All university sponsored events are cancelled or must be delivered in an online or remote format.
- June 1: University guidance will be announced for events between July 6 – July 31.
- July 1: University guidance will be announced for events between Aug. 1 – Aug. 15.
- July 15: University guidance will be announced for events between Aug. 16-Aug. 31.
- August 1: University guidance will be announced for events between Sept. 1 – Sept. 30.
We believe this phased approach offers the best option for units to make appropriate plans for operations through the summer months. We also want to ensure that our local businesses and individual members of our community have early notice and more time to make any accommodations.
We define summer events as organized activities sponsored by the university and/or held in university facilities that involve gatherings of small to large groups of people. Examples would include conferences, institutes, weddings, clinics and concerts.
We know this is disappointing news, but the health and safety of our students, faculty, staff and the community in which live, must be our top priority. All of our decisions related to summer and fall events will continue to be guided by the directives from the State of Illinois and advice of our local public health officials.
Thank you for your continued patience and kindness as we navigate these uncertain times.
Robert J. Jones