Facilities & Services has developed updated cleaning and disinfecting strategies and service levels in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
During the gradual and phased transition back to on-site work at the university, these service delivery adjustments will return Building Services staffing to typical levels, emphasize proactive and precautionary methods and specify target areas and plans for daily custodial activities.
Cleaning protocols will follow the framework established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the guidance of local public health professionals.
Each unit should determine what measures they will take to sanitize spaces and equipment between cleanings by Facilities & Services. These protocols have been created by unit leadership and submitted and approved by the Executive Steering Committee.
F&S Building Services staff will continue to follow the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention guidance for “Cleaning and Disinfecting Public Spaces, Workplaces, Businesses, Schools, and Homes.” These activities include increased restroom cleaning and regularly disinfecting frequently touched surfaces such as doorknobs, light switches, faucets and sinks.
General custodial service levels during the COVID-19 pandemic will need to be complemented by individuals consistently performing behavioral practices that emphasize virus mitigation to help slow the spread of the disease, as well as supplementing cleaning and disinfection practices in departmental areas with Environmental Protection Agency approved products:
- Wiping/disinfecting individual or shared workstations, equipment or appliances
- Disinfecting conference rooms before and after meetings
- Disinfecting University vehicles before and after use
- Cleaning shared workspace areas and collaboration spaces
- Placing office trash receptacles outside doors or in aisleways when needing to be emptied
- Wiping down reception areas after visitor/student interaction
Questions and feedback regarding cleaning and disinfecting activities should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facilities and Services is actively reviewing all HVAC systems across the university. Please visit the Facilities and Services HVAC Considerations page for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
How will you clean an area that has been visited by an individual who has tested positive for COVID-19?
Facilities and Services has set up a protocol for cleaning and disinfecting areas where individuals with confirmed COVID-19 have been. You can see this protocol here.
How will the university clean water fountains?
Water fountains remain in operation throughout campus buildings, but students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to bring their own water to minimize the usage of the units. Building Services staff will continue to clean university water fountains daily following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidelines. Facilities & Services staff are also running fountains multiple times each week as an additional precaution to protect campus water systems.
- Video available for COVID-19 Briefing Series: Return to Campus
- Massmails: Important Fall 2020 Update, Requirements and Expectations
- Video now available for COVID-19 Briefing Series: Human Resources
- COVID-19 Briefing Series: Cleaning, Safety and Building Operations
- COVID-19 signs for campus offices and buildings