Safer Illinois app
The Safer Illinois app was built by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign specifically to support the university community during COVID-19. We believe Safer Illinois offers the most convenient, most secure and most direct tool for managing your COVID-19 status. Use of the app is strongly recommended for all faculty, staff and students.
On This Page
Download the App
For more information, visit the Safer Illinois app website.
Help and Support
The Safer Illinois app has support documentation to help app users troubleshoot known errors and issues within the app.
App Features and On-Campus Uses
The Safer Illinois app has a number of features to help maximize on-campus health and safety.
University-verified COVID-19 vaccination
Once your vaccination has been uploaded AND has completed verification by the university, records can take 12-24 hours to appear in the Safer Illinois app. Please note that it takes time for vaccine records to be verified after they are uploaded.
Testing Results & Information
Students, faculty and staff with active university NetIDs can use the Safer Illinois app to access information about their testing schedule and results including:
- Personalized on-campus testing reminders
- Personalized & private on-campus testing results
- On-campus testing site locations & hours
To receive test results via the Safer Illinois app, make sure the “Health Provider Test Results” is toggled on in the app settings. You may need to restart the app for your results to load.
More information about the university’s testing program is available on the On-Campus COVID-19 Testing page.
All students, faculty and staff will need to verify their Building Access before being allowed to enter university facilities. The Safer Illinois app is the the easiest and most reliable method of verifying Building Access. Your personalized granted-access or denied-access status for entry to university classrooms and facilities is based on these factors:
- Your on-campus testing status (up-to-date or not) OR your university-verified COVID-19 vaccination record
- Your exposure notification status (not exposed or exposed)
- Your COVID-19 status (negative or positive)
- Your quarantine status (not in quarantine, in quarantine)
- Your self-reported symptoms
Note: The Building Access Status display does not show any personalized health information. You are not required to share or prove your vaccination status. The building access screen only shows if someone is compliant or not – either through vaccination or testing. This is to protect everyone’s private health information.
More information about the Building Access process and about Wellness Support Associates is available on the Building Access page.
- You can enable Safer Illinois app to anonymously notify you of possible COVID-19 exposures
- For more information about how the exposure notification feature works in the app, please consult this detailed support information from Technology Services.
Note: The Safer Illinois app does not record your location. This exposure notification does not replace the in-person contact tracing being done by the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District.
Health & Wellness Information
The Safer Illinois app provides access to features for health & safety for faculty, staff and students, including:
- A symptom-scale for automated self-assessment
- Personalized guidance and next steps for responding to an exposure or positive test results
- Most recent guidelines from Champaign-Urbana Public Health District
- Contact information for virtual-care teams from local healthcare providers
Built to Protect Your Privacy
The safety and privacy of our faculty, staff and students is our top priority. We have built this app with privacy at its foundation. It collects as little data as possible and has strong data security. For more information about how we have prioritized privacy and security, visit the Safer Illinois Privacy FAQ.
Frequently Asked Questions
I uploaded my vaccination card. Why isn’t the change reflected in my Safer Illinois app?
If you have previously uploaded a Vaccination Record Card, please be patient. It takes time for your vaccination to be verified after you submit it. Once your vaccination has completed verification, records can take 12-24 hours to appear in the Safer Illinois app.
In the meantime, if your vaccination is verified by the university and you need to show your building access status immediately, please use the boarding pass: https://go.illinois.edu/BoardingPass
Where can I get help or more information if something seems wrong with the app or I receive an error or message (e.g. ,”Potential Exposure”) that I don’t understand?
A good place to start is the Safer Illinois app support documentation, which is updated frequently. The documentation contains information and workarounds for known bugs and problems.
You can view the Safer Illinois app support documentation online.
Safer Illinois app updates
- Massmail: Governor’s mandate & our preliminary vaccine uploads
- Massmail: Fall 2021 COVID-19 requirements & protocols
- Massmail: COVID-19 Vaccination Expectations for the Fall 2021 Semester
- Massmail: Verified COVID-19 vaccination records now active to replace testing
- Weekly Update from Chancellor Jones (1/25 – 1/29)