Safer Illinois app
The Safer Illinois app was built by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign specifically to support the university community during COVID-19. We believe Safer Illinois offers the most convenient, most secure and most direct tool for managing your COVID-19 status. Use of the app is strongly recommended for all faculty, staff and students.
On This Page
Download the App
For more information, visit the Safer Illinois app website.
Help and Support
The Safer Illinois app has support documentation to help app users troubleshoot known errors and issues within the app.
App Features and On-Campus Uses
The Safer Illinois app has a number features to help maximize on-campus health and safety.
Testing Results & Information
Students, faculty and staff with active university NetIDs can use the Safer Illinois app to access information about their testing schedule and results including:
- Personalized on-campus testing reminders
- Personalized & private on-campus testing results
- On-campus testing site locations & hours
To receive test results via the Safer Illinois app, make sure the “Health Provider Test Results” is toggled on in the app settings. You may need to restart the app for your results to load.
More information about the university’s testing program is available on the On-Campus COVID-19 Testing page.
All students, faculty and staff will need to verify their Building Access before being allowed to enter university facilities. The Safer Illinois app is the the easiest and most reliable method of verifying Building Access. Your personalized granted-access or denied-access status for entry to university classrooms and facilities is based on these factors:
- Your on-campus testing status (up-to-date or not)
- Your exposure notification status (not exposed or exposed)
- Your COVID-19 status (negative or positive)
- Your quarantine status (not in quarantine, in quarantine)
- Your self-reported symptoms
Note: The Building Access Status display does not show any personalized health information.
More information about the Building Access process and about Wellness Support Associates is available on the Building Access page.
- You can enable Safer Illinois app to anonymously notify you of possible COVID-19 exposures
- For more information about how the exposure notification feature works in the app, please consult this detailed support information from Technology Services.
Note: The Safer Illinois app does not record your location. This exposure notification does not replace the in-person contact tracing being done by the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District.
This slide deck helps explain how the anonymous exposure notification system works for individuals using the Safer Illinois app:
Health & Wellness Information
The Safer Illinois app provides access to features for health & safety for faculty, staff and students including:
- A symptom-scale for automated self-assessment
- Personalized guidance and next steps for responding to an exposure or positive test results
- Most recent guidelines from Champaign-Urbana Public Health District
- Contact information for virtual-care teams from local healthcare providers
Built to Protect Your Privacy
The safety and privacy of our faculty, staff and students is our top priority. We have built this app with privacy at its foundation. It collects as little data as possible and has strong data security. For more information about how we have prioritized privacy and security, visit the Safer Illinois Privacy FAQ.
Students, faculty and staff who do not have a smartphone to run the Safer Illinois app may contact Technology Services to request a smartphone on loan from the university specifically to use the app.
More information about technology loan programs can be found on the Faculty, Staff, and Student Technology Equipment Needs page managed by Technology Services.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I get help or more information if something seems wrong with the app or I receive an error or message (e.g. “Potential Exposure”) that I don’t understand?
A good place to start is the Safer Illinois app support documentation which is updated frequently. The documentation contains information and workarounds for known bugs and problems.
You can view the Safer Illinois app support documentation online.
Safer Illinois app updates
- Massmail: COVID-19 Vaccination Expectations for the Fall 2021 Semester
- Massmail: Verified COVID-19 vaccination records now active to replace testing
- Weekly Update from Chancellor Jones (1/25 – 1/29)
- Weekly Update from Chancellor Jones (1/18 – 1/22)
- Massmail: Increased Precautions – Essential Activities Only Until Feb. 8