This page was last updated: June 29, 2020 at 10:35 am
As part of our region’s successful transition into Phase IV of the governor’s Restore Illinois Plan, facilities at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign may resume hosting in-person, on-campus events beginning August 1. Not all campus facilities or venues may be ready or available for events on August 1, so please check directly with the venue or facility for the latest information.
Guidelines for in-person events will be based on the guidance from the Restore Illinois Plan and public health officials. The university will follow the state’s guidance limiting in-person event attendance to the lesser of 50 individuals or 50% of facility capacity, particularly for events or meetings held in traditional instructional spaces or meeting rooms. All in-person event participants will be required to follow a number of health and safety guidelines including wearing face covers and practicing social distancing which may further reduce event capacity.
Additionally, as previously announced, the university will follow a phased approach to decisions about the status of events through the rest of the summer and into the fall semester. That schedule is as follows:
- Announced May 1: All university sponsored events between May 1 and July 5 are cancelled or must be delivered in an online or remote format.
- Announced June 1: All university sponsored events between July 6 and July 31 are cancelled or must be delivered in an online or remote format.
- Announced July 1: University guidance for events beginning August 1
- July 15: University guidance and any Phase IV implementation updates will be announced for events between Aug. 16 – Aug. 31.
- August 1: University guidance and any Phase IV implementation updates will be announced for events between Sept. 1 – Sept. 30.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, staff and the community in which live continues to be our top priority. All of our decisions related to summer and fall events will continue to be guided by the directives from the State of Illinois and advice of our local public health officials.
Specific Facility Information
A number of campus facilities that host public events are closed or are operating under restrictions. Please visit the Facilities and Operations page for more information.
The university is actively exploring options for a rescheduled in-person ceremony when it is safe to do so.
A virtual celebration was held on Saturday, May 16. You can see the 2020 Commencement Celebration page at go.illinois.edu/celebration
When more information is available about the rescheduled in-person ceremony, it will be shared on the Commencement website and the University’s social media channels.
Campus tours have been temporarily suspended, but you can also visit us virtually.
Additionally, Admitted Student Days have been suspended indefinitely until further notice.